Paris in Monochrome: Street Scenes

It is somewhat hard for me to characterize this set of photographs, because they fall into a strange space somewhere between travel, street and snapshot photographs.  I always enjoy Paris, but it was difficult for me to focus on only one style - or even on only one camera - the entire time I was there.  I always try and compose the best I can under the circumstances, but some were taken in a rush, or while exiting or entering various Parisian venues.  Still, there are a few that are dear to me - and a few that may even tell a story - if you stop and listen. 

Technically, Leica M3 with 50mm Summicron F/2 DR lens was used, while films ranged from Ilford FP4+, Delta 100 for daylight and Delta 400 shot at 800 for dark / low light shots.  The low light shots were taken on Olympus XA.  They were developed in house, scanned and processed in Photoshop CC.  White frame added for effect.  

If you wish to purchase any of these images as fine art prints, please contact me.

note:  click on the images to see them bigger.

Malmo through the lens of Olympus 35 RC

A small set of photographs taken in Malmo, Sweden with ancient Oly 35 RC cam.  Film used was Ilford HP5+ pushed to ISO 800 and developed in D76 1:1.  I encountered several modern shapes which seemed to work well by themselves, or blended with the older formations made by man.  The train station also provided some interesting opportunities.


Chicago Chinatown Visit with Rollei & Ilford HP5+

Chicago Chinatown is situated south of downtown Chicago.  It is an interesting and vibrant community.  This was my first visit.  I used my Rollei 35mm camera because it provided autofocus and full automation with film, so I could focus more on the photographs.  I am attempting to develop my street photography skills, so this set is about the people in this interesting location.  Enjoy.  

At The Train Museum with Ilford Delta 100

 tried yet another film recently - Ilford Delta 100. I was looking to see what level of grain the film would produce, how easy it was to develop it, and what dynamic range it was capable of reproducing. Overall, I quite like it. It does not have the tonal range and silky smoothness of PanF 50, but it has been, so far a little easier to develop and scan. I used Ilford DD-X developer for this film, and the develop time in 1+4 solution takes about 12 minutes (5 longer than PanF 50).

I hoped for a nice and dry day, but it rained the night before, and the alleys between the trains were flooded. I had to change my plans a little, focusing on train reflections and the trains running that day - like the great Silver Pilot Zephyr diesel locomotive made just before WWII began in US. One of the other interesting areas I focused on was the waiting station which provides some amazing window light. Next time, I will put someone in the bench to pose ...as I think this location has many possibilities.

At The Car Museum with Ilford Pan F 50 +

I recently purchased 2 rolls of Ilford PanF 50 120 film. I was interested in this film because it is advertised as an extremely low grain film. For street photography, I prefer grain, but I like little or no grain in fine art photographs. I used the first roll on a night photo shoot, but had difficulties developing it with Ilford Ilfosol 3, which was the only developer available to me at the time. The negatives seemed blotchy and unevenly developed. After some further research, I found out Ilford recommends their DD-X developer for best results. I ordered some from B&H Photo and used it on the 2nd roll (one featured in this blog).

Film was loaded in my Yashica D 6x6 medium format camera, and the photographs were taken while visiting a car museum with my son (great fun!). Film was exposed at ISO 50 (box speed) in full daylight using iPhone Lightmeter app: "My Light Meter PRO", which I heartily recommend. It is not easy to work with this film in low light without a tripod because of its slow speed, but the tradeoff is magnificent separation of tone and milky smooth negative.

After film development, images were scanned on Epson V550 scanner using VueScan and ColorPerfect software. Adjustments were made in Lightroom. Below are the results, and I am quite pleased.